Standing Desk App is a small Mac OS X utility by Puppy Bongos created to time how long you sit and stand while using a standing desk (or even just to remind you to stand up from sitting at a normal desk), all so you don't die from butt death.
Butt death is the worst kind of death.
Why? | Features | Installerate | Usage | Config | Change Log
There is one particular company (WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS (FOR NOW)) that makes a swell application for Windows that provides similar capability. Their OS X version, however, is buggy and difficult to install, so Standing Desk App was created to fix those issues and make it even better.
- Ridiculously simple install and setup
- Minimal interface: all main program functions are run from the menubar
- Set snooze and pause-on-idle times, in addition to the obvious sitting and standing ones
- Pause timer if you know you're going to be away (or you want to cheat)
- Uses both notifications and sound alerts to remind you of the next action
Download Standing Desk App (release v1.1) and double-click the ZIP file that appears on your local hard drive.
Standing Desk App.app file should be moved into your /Applications directory before running.
If it's your first time running the application, you may have to right-click on the .app file and choose "Open" from the dialog box (once the app is properly signed, this shouldn't be necessary). In addition, on initial load you should be presented with the Preferences window, giving you a chance to peruse default settings and change them, if need be. Check the box that's labeled "Start application at login?" if you wish to never have to double-click the app ever again.
The Preferences window (which can be accessed from the main menubar icon) allows you to change the following settings:
General - General stuff!
- Stand/Sit interval preset
- Standing time
- Sitting time
- Pause after idle time
- Snooze time
- Start on login option
Alerts - Audio/visual
- Stand alert sound, and its volume
- Sit alert sound, and its volume
Shortcuts - Mice are for fools!
- Pause/resume global keyboard shortcut
- Skip keyboard global keyboard shortcut
- Support for Turkish and French
- Notification fix so they don't pile up in the Notification Center
- Updates to CocoaPods and MASShortcut (for keyboard shortcuts)
- Signed app so Apple should trust it
- 1.0 release!
- Global keyboard shortcuts are now handled through Cocoapods
- Sleep/wake should pause/resume the timer appropriately
- Menubar icons more visible if Yosemite's dark mode is enabled
- Stand/Sit Presets - choose from several options as a foundation for your standing desk usage
- Customizable global keyboard shortcuts
- Implicit preferences saving - no more need to hit the save button
- Practically totally functional!
- Bug stomping
- Mostly functional!
- Set sitting and standing time
- Sweet icons
- Start on login option
- Moderately functional